Indian E-visa Guide
You are welcome to our page. We will provide you with all the necessary information you seek as you intend to obtain an Indian visa or make a trip to India.
What Is a Travel Visa?
We are here to cater for all categories of visitors and all information seekers on our page. For a novice, you need to know what a travel visa means. It is an authorization or a document issued by the government of India that permits travelers from other countries to visit India. It is usually affixed to a page of your international passport booklet or it could come in form of a single stamp on a page of your passport.
Indian Electronic Visa (India E-visa)
India is a Southern Asia country, the world’s second-most populous country, and one of the world’s fastest-growing economy. They are open to would-be visitors and travelers who are ready to enter the country legitimately. Of the nine (9) India visa categories, five (5) of them can be processed online in form of e-visa. The Indian government visa policy allows intending travelers to apply for their authorization document online. This electronic travel authorization (ETA) is not available for all countries, for now, citizens of these 180 countries worldwide can apply for a visa using the electronic option. With the ETA a physical appearance at the Indian high commissions or embassies in the 180 countries is not needed by the captured category of travelers. Also, they are not required to physically stamp their passports.
Category of Travelers Covered by the Indian E-visa
Unlike the regular visas which are available to all and sundry, the online Indian electronic visa is restricted to only visitors and travelers coming into India for these purposes:
- e-Tourist visa for visitors coming in as tourists.
- e-Business visa for visitors coming in for different business reasons.
- e-Medical visa for visitors coming in to seek medical attention.
- e-Conference visa for non-Indians coming into the country for conference purposes.
- e-Medical Attendant visa for foreigners who want to come to India to support their sick relatives or dependents.
Documents needed to apply for an Indian E-visa
The Indian government has put so much trust in the immigration office of your country, thus, they will not be requiring you to physically present yourself for biometric registration before obtaining a visa. However, they will need some other documents which they think will suffice to authenticate your identity. Before applying, make sure you get the following documents and details ready:
- Your passport details – number, issue date, expiry date, and place of issue.
- Your email address.
- Your physical address details.
- Your debit/credit card for payment.
- Any other supporting document that your application may require.
Note that a biometric exercise will be conducted upon landing in India.
How to apply for an Indian E-visa
To apply for the Indian Electronic visa, you must go through the following steps:
- Figure out what kind of e-visa you need
There are only five (5) categories of e-visa for
, however, before signing up on the , you need to decide on which visa best suits your travelling purpose.
- Fill the online India visa application.
This is the most important part of your application. Here, you will be required to:
- Provide your basic background details i.e. your full name (as it appears on your passport, date and place of birth, address, and marital status.
- Provide information as contained on our international passport (issue and expiry dates, passport number, among other details).
- Upload a passport photograph (follow the given guidelines).
- Upload international passport information page
- Answer few Yes/No security questions
When ready to travel, the clearing process
As easy as the registration/application step is, so is the clearance stage. Your assigned immigration officer will clear you when you produce a copy of your Indian e-visa confirmation page on your mobile devices. You can also produce a printed copy. Note that the copy must show “GRANTED” clearly to confirm acceptance. The immigration officer will then check your details against what they have on their system for confirmation.
Other things travelers must note concerning their application
- That your passport must have at least 6 months of validity by the time you enter India.
- That if you can't complete your application at a go, you can save and return to continue at a later time from where you stopped.
- That you can check the status of your visa application via the government website.
- You can return to the page to print your approved application at any time. It is not a one-time generated document.
Other important intricacies of your India e-visa
- With a one-year e-tourist visa, you can stay for up to 6 months in India for any duration during the year.
- You are required to apply for your e-visa not later than 4 days before you enter India.
- Your passport must have at least two blank pages left as at the time of application.
- Diplomatic passport holders, refugee immigrants, or other international travel document holders are not eligible for the India e-visa.
- You're required to buy a round trip ticket or provide adequate proof of fund showing that you can afford a return ticket after landing in India.
- Aside from your international passport, be aware that other means of identification may be required by the Indian immigration officers.
- An Indian e-visa cannot be converted to another visa type, extended beyond approved date nor cancelled after approval.
- It is worth noting also that e-visa holders do not have the freedom to land in or exit India at will. By this, it means that there are twenty-eight (28) authorized airports and five (5) authorized seaports through which e-visa holders can enter India. Likewise, there are also only thirty-four (34) exit airports available for anyone using the e-visa service of India bureau of immigration.
E-VISA APPLICATION PROCESS
FAQs Relating To India Visa Application:
There is regular/paper visa by the Indian mission/post available for the general applicants
No, unfortunately, the government of India hasn't extended the e-visa to the student category. Only travelers on a short term, non-certificate issuing courses (6 months or less) are eligible.
The complete processing time can be up to four (4) working days and can be as fast as a day. All the same, it's a quick and efficient process. The online application part only takes a few minutes provided all the required documents and details are at the reach of the applicant by the time of application. After submission, a mail will be sent to notify applicants that their e-visas are ready for download.
As a Japanese and a South Korean national, you will not need an e-visa, but if you're from the United Arab Emirate (UAE) please be aware that a visa on arrival is only possible for you if you had earlier obtained an Indian e-visa and a regular passport.
No, you can't. The government of India only allows ordinary international passport holders to apply for e-visa. Diplomatic passport holders and other international travel documents holders are not considered for the Indian e-visa.
Please click here to see if you are from an eligible country.
The e-visa application fee varies from country to country. For all applicant, however, an additional 2.5% charge is payable as bank transaction charges on each e-visa. To avoid rejection or non-processing of application, the e-visa fee must be paid at least 4 days before the expected date of travel. Click